Some types of chocolate have great health benefits, and protective characteristics, such as antioxidants, anti-aging properties, oxidative stress relief, blood pressure regulation and prevents atherosclerosis (the plaque that builds up in your arteries). However, just a reminder that if you eat a pound of this chocolate every day, it would be easy to come to the conclusion that these benefits would cease. It is recommend that you should consume no more than 30 – 60g (1 -2oz) premium dark chocolate, 72% or higher with the least amount of sugar; per day to reap the health rewards.
Eight awesome benefits to this type of chocolate are:
- Prevents cardiovascular disease
- Lowers blood pressure, and helps regulate
- Prevents blood clots by helping the body’s platelets maintain blood fluidity and decreasing inflammation
- Reduces insulin resistance, and helps burn fat
- Promotes the production of serotonin
- Play a positive role in treating cerebral conditions, such as dementia and strokes
- Improves cognitive performance
- Supplementation before exercise results in rapid recovery of post exercise physiological and metabolic changes
You can easily add chocolate to your diet, it comes in so many forms: there is liquid, powder and solid (which is your traditional form). In liquid form you can added it to your pancake batter, muffin mixes, and sauces. In powder form it is great for smoothies, yogurts and cookies batters. An’ of course in solid form you can just eat it, however don’t over indulge…
What do I mean when saying “Premium Dark Chocolate”, in other words what to look for when purchasing a quality chocolate to reap the benefits.
- If it says “chocolatey” it is not a serious chocolate
- Look for ingredients such as ‘cocoa butter’ or ‘chocolate liquor’
- Look for a chocolate that is low in sugar, daily intake for sugar is 4 to 6 teaspoons (25g)
- Look for a chocolate that is higher than 72% cocoa
So in conclusion chocolate is good for you, it provides you with, healthy fats, tons of antioxidants, nitrogenous compounds, and minerals. Indulge your taste buds with one or two squares of premium dark chocolate every day and reap the benefits of your favourite treat.